Glossary of Portable Cord Types
Thermoset (rubber) material hardens or "sets" under direct application of heat (this is called curing), and once it sets, is not able to be resoftened by heating. Thermoset is a much more durable compound than Thermoplastic.
Thermoset cords include the following types:
- American Mustang® SOOW (Service Oil resistant jacket, Oil resistant insulation, Weather resistant) - The toughest Thermoset portable cord available, this premium portable cord withstands the most demanding environments and temperature extremes. SOOW is oil, chemical, ozone and acid resistant and also resists tears, cuts and abrasions, and is completely water submersible and flame retardant. American Mustang® SOOW can be used for various indoor and outdoor applications, such as industrial equipment, heavy tools, motor and welding leads, power extensions, portable machinery, sound equipment, portable stage lights, marine dockside power and in mining applications. SOOW meets CSA approval for outdoor use.
- SOOW Portable Cord, American Mustang® SOOW Portable Control Cable (Service, Oil resistant jacket, Oil resistant insulation, Weather resistant)-Has a tough, flexible Thermoset rubber jacket which is abrasion, sunlight, ozone, oil and chemical resistant. SOOW is also water submersible and flame retardant. SOOW is designed for indoor and outdoor use with industrial equipment, heavy tools, battery chargers, portable lights and power extensions. SOOW meets CSA APPROVAL for outdoor use.
- SJ (Service. Junior) - Junior service cord (300V). SJ has an all rubber construction, remains flexible at low temperatures, and is designed for indoor use with portable tools, equipment and motors.
- SV (Service, Vacuum) - Junior light-duty vacuum cord (300V). SV remains flexible at low temperatures and is for use with vacuum cleaners and other light-duty equipment.
- SVO (Service, Vacuum, Oil resistant jacket) - Same as SV, but jacket is oil resistant.
Thermoplastic (plastic) material softens when heated and becomes firm upon cooling. It is not as durable or as flexible as Thermoset material, but is much lighter in weight and offers excellent low temperature resistance.
Thermoplastic cords include the following types:
- SEOW/STW (Service, Elastomer jacket Oil resistant jacket, Weather resistant-Features a Thermoplastic Elastomer jacket and insulation, which offer exceptional low temperature capabilities. SEOW has an oil resistant jacket and is water resistant and extremely lightweight. SEOW is suitable for outdoor use in industrial applications with construction tools and other electrical equipment, but is not recommended for contact with hot surfaces. SEOW meets CSA approval for outdoor use as STW.
- STOW/STW (Service, Thermoplastic jacket, Oil resistant jacket, Weather resistant)-Hard service Thermoplastic cord which will deform under extreme pressure or heat. STOW features an oil resistant jacket and is for indoor/outdoor use with heavy tools, equipment, portable lights and power extensions. STOW meets CSA approval for outdoor use as STW STO (Service, Thermoplastic, Oil resistant jacket)-same as STOW but for indoor use only.
- STW (Service, Thermoplastic, Weather resistant}-same as STOW but jacket is not oil resistant. STW meets CSA approval for outdoor use.
- SVT (Service, Vacuum, Thermoplastic)-same as SV but with Thermoplastic insulation and jacket.
- SPT-1 & 2 (Service, Parallel, Thermoplastic)-PVC insulated, extra flexible parallel cord for use in household appliances, including clocks, fans, radios, and most often, SPT-2 in lamps.
- SPT-1.5 (Service, Parallel Thermoplastic)-AWM Style 20288, PVC insulated, extra flexible parallel cord for use as internal wiring of appliances or can be woven through links of chains (suspended fixtures).
Request A Quote Learn More Subscribe To Email